The newest cemetery in Stonehouse opening in 1981. Lairs for two interments can only be purchased at the time of burial within this cemetery. It can continue to provide for future generations with the re-opening of existing family lairs and can also accommodate interments of cremated remains. Adjoining the Glebe is St Ninian’s churchyard which is probably the earliest burial site in the parish containing over 400 visible headstones. The old Kirk was dedicated to St Ninian in the 9th century although earlier timber built churches may have been present on this site. All that remains today is the gable end or a pre-reformation church and its bell tower. When restoration work took place in 1734 to replace the foundation stone, it was found to date back to before 1560. The earliest headstone found to date is from 1663. There are records dating back to 1981 for the cemetery and vague records from 1891 for St Ninian’s.
It is only around 500 yards from Stonehouse Cemetery (Manse Road)