SALVATION ARMY TIME LINE

Stonehouse was corps number 210 (Scotland), opening on 27 December

1902-1903. The first officers were two women, Captain Waggett and Lieutenant Adams.

Major Thomas Cloud, the Divisional Officer for Glasgow led the opening meeting. This is recorded in the article attached.  Some months later there is a further report in The War Cry about the new corps, it reports that it now had 84 recruits and soldiers and there is an interesting description of the developing work by Major Cloud who is leading  a band of “Salvation Siegers” to help in the growth of the corps.

1903 ARTICLE,WAR CRY 1903.

Major clouds death is recorded in the following article.

DEATH NOTICE THOMAS CLOUD

 Over the years the work continued and in 1971 Stonehouse was linked with Strathaven Corps. In the same year the renovated hall was re-opened.

Unfortunately the work and membership gradually declined, and on 2 May 1998 the corps was closed.

It is however known through the records of the school headmasters diary that on 2nd September 1904 at 10.00 General  William Booth and a number of his officers in five cars visited Stonehouse attending the Hamilton Memorial Church  for a religious ceremony.

 

Early Officers

 A great number of the Salvation Army records were lost during the Blitz, however records after this period still exist.

 

Year

Month

Officers

1903

January

Captain Waggettt and Lieutenant Adams

     

1905

February

Lieutenant  Forsyth

1905

August

Captain A Jones and Lieutenant Everson

     

1906

May

Captain Bunce and Lieutenant Peace

 

 

 

1907

January

Captain Flett and Lieutenant Timms

1907

May

Captain Pickett and Lieutenant Gough

1907

November

Captain Jones

 

 

 

1908

February

Lieutenant Dixon

 

 

 

1910

May

Captain white and Lieutenant  Fyfe

1910

October

Ensign Toby and Lieutenant Roberts