[vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_column_text]We are currently researching and building a record of famous or not so famous people who were born or stayed in Stonehouse. If you have anyone that you would like included please feel free to send us your information and pictures.
Andrew Froude (1876-1945)
Andrew Froude was the first Registrar General for Scotland who was effectively a career civil servant, without having worked in other areas. He was also the first Registrar General to show that the higher ranks of the civil service were becoming more open to men of all social classes (women usually left on marriage, and rarely reached the upper levels). Froude was the son of a blacksmith. He was born in Stonehouse in Lanarkshire in 1876, and educated at Hamilton Academy. He entered the civil service in London in 1897, and then transferred to the General Register Office in Edinburgh. In 1911 he was one of the superintendents of the census, which was a particularly elaborate exercise in that year. He was promoted in the GROS, and became Secretary (the chief administrative officer under the Registrar General) in 1925 and Registrar General in 1930. He was awarded the Imperial Service Order, and retired on account of ill health in 1937.
Alexander Sym Small
Alexander Sym Small was born on 3rd November 1887 in Stonehouse, Lanarkshire, Scotland and was baptized on 16th December 1887, in Paterson UP Church, in Stonehouse. He was the second child of John Small, born on 26th June 1860, in Stonehouse and Barbara Sym, born about 1865, in Hamilton, Lanarkshire. The 1891 Census shows the family living in Camnethan Street, Stonehouse and the 1901 Census shows the family living at 58 Airbles Street, Motherwell, Lanarkshire. John Small is described as a stone hewer.
In 1908, Alexander graduated M A from Glasgow University and on 10th December 1910, he sat the Civil Service entrance exams and was appointed Colonial Office: Eastern Cadet, “After Open Competition”
In January 1911 he arrived in Malaya to work in the Malayan Civil Service. He later transferred to the Straits Settlements Civil Service.
On 4th January 1922, he married Hazel Irene Stubbs in St Mary’s Church, West Perth, Western Australia. Their daughter, Irene Barbara Small was born about 1925.
By 1st January 1935, Alexander had been promoted to Treasurer of the Straits Settlements, his signature appearing on the new issue of banknotes. Later that year, he was appointed Colonial Secretary of the Straits Settlements. The Singapore Free Press of 7th May 1936 carried a report of a talk he gave to the Singapore Rotary Club, about his 25 years in the Civil Service.
He was awarded a knighthood in the New Years honours of 1939 – Knight Commander of the Civil Division of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire
In 1940 he resigned as Colonial Secretary due to ill-health, he died in Cottesloe, Perth, Western Australia, Australia
About the Colonial Secretary, Straits Settlements
Chief Secretary, Singapore, known as the Colonial Secretary, Singapore, from 1946 to 1955, was one of the highest ranking government civil positions in the colonial Singapore. It evolved from its predecessor, the Colonial Secretary, Straits Settlements, and was second only to the Governor of Singapore, formerly the Governor of the Straits Settlements.
The position of the Colonial Secretary (CS) for the Straits Settlements (SS) was originally created in 1867 with a view to replacing the Resident Councillor for Singapore, when the Straits Settlements, which mainly comprised Singapore, Penang and Malacca, became a crown colony. During the Japanese occupation, the position was vacant and suspended following the downfall of the Malay Peninsula into the hands of the Japanese. After the war, in 1946, Singapore parted from Penang and Malacca, forming itself into a crown colony, so the jurisdiction of CS was reduced to Singapore only. The name “Colonial Secretary” was later changed into “Chief Secretary” in 1955 when the crown colony adopted the Rendel Constitution. Having been in existence for 92 years, the position was finally abolished in 1959 when Singapore was granted complete internal self-government.
Being the head of the CS’s Office, the CS was an ex officio member of both the Executive and Legislative Councils, and at the same time the head of the Colonial Secretariat from 1867 to 1955. When Singapore adopted its new constitution in 1955, although the Colonial Secretariat was abolished, the CS remained an ex officio member of the Council of Ministers and the Legislative Assembly. The workplace of CS was located at Empress Place Building while Sri Temasek, which was next to the Government House (Istana), was the official residence of the CS.
Extract from the Singapore free press.
(Transcribed by J Rogers)
Robert Hamilton MM
Born at Kittymuir Farm on 30 10 1892, and at the age of 16 in 1909 he sailed for New Zealand to work, after a few years there he then sailed to Australia , working as a ranch hand at Uranas NSW. On the outbreak of war he intended to return to Scotland and join up. The elite Australian Light Horse (Mounted Infantry) were recruiting locally and at 5/- per day, less 1/- per day (paid at end of service) he decided to join up in Australia on 14th September 1914, better getting shot at for 5/- a day as opposed to the British 1/- per day. You had to prove your riding and shooting ability before being taken on. After a few weeks training the regiment sailed from Sydney on HMAT Star of Victoria (A16) on 19th October for Egypt with stops for coal and supplies at Albany SW Australia and Colombo Ceylon, they disembarked in Egypt on 8-12-1914 for the defence of Suez . The regiment was next deployed on HMAT Caledonian to Alexandria for Gallipoli without their horses, at Gallipoli they landed at 6.00am on the 12thMay 1915 at ANZAC Cove, there they mounted a defensive role for most of campaign .On 7thAugust some 2001st Light Horse men launched an attack on the Turkish position known as the Chessboard, 147 of them became casualties. The Regiment left Gallipoli 21st December1915 for Egypt. Back in Egypt the Regiment joined the ANZAC Mounted Division and was deployed to protect the Nile Valley from the pro Turkish Senussi Arabs. On 14th May 1916 they were tasked with defending the Suez Canal, the1st light Horse Brigade played a significant role against the Turks at the Battle of Romani 4th August. They then joined the Allied advance across the Siani in November and were involved in the Battle of Maghdaba December 1916 and the Battle of Rafa January 1917 the next major Battle was the abortive second Battle of Gaza in April. Some 18 miles North East of Beersheba in the battle at Tel el Khuweilfeh on3rd November Sergeant Robert Hamilton was awarded the Military Medal for bravery in the field , his citation reads,
On 3rd November 1917 at Tel el Khuweilfeh this NCO took forward a Hotchkiss gun detachment to a forward flank position and considerably helped to keep down the enemy’s fire, and carried in a wounded man under very heavy fire. His coolness and bravery set a fine example to his men all day
Recommended by Lt Col Granville
2 weeks after this award Robert was wounded with a Gun shot wound to the neck. ( not evacuated , A&NZ casualty list No 10 )
After the collapse of Turkish position in Southern Palestine the regiment moved on Jaffa and then on to clear and occupy the West Bank of the Jordan River ,then the Raids on Amman 24-27 February 1918 and Es Salt 30 April – 4 May and the repulse of major German and Turkish attacks on14thJuly. The Regiment then fought on, east of the Jordan Turkey surrendered on 30 October and the first Light Horse sailed for Australia on the 12 March 1919. Robert had embarked on HT Bermudian at Port Said, and disembarked at Southampton on19-12 -1918 for the leave, he was discharged on 15-3-1919 in London with the rank of Regimental Quarter Master Sergeant and overseas service of 4years 187 days.
He returned home to Stonehouse and married Annie Naismith (grandaughter of Robert Naismith author of Stonehouse Historical and Traditional) of Cross View, they set up home in Hamilton Ferme at the Cross and had seven of a family Minnie, (my mother) Robert, William, James, Ian, Douglas, Evelyn and Norman.
Robert along with his brother in law James Watson of Thorndale, Manse Road set up a bus company The Admiral, running Lancier’s from Strathaven to Cathedral Street in Glasgow they eventually gave up the service due to the practise still used today of competitors running buses a few minutes in front of them
Robert then took on High Lannrig Farm. For a few years. When the Council house were built in Newfield Road Robert moved into number 4.
He bred Greyhounds, and had kennels down at the oilworks under the viaduct, he had prolific winner in a dog named Avonhope ( known as the rent payer ) he also started working for Sam Park of Lesmahagow, as Racing Manager / Handicapper at Larkhall Greyhound Stadium 1936 – 1964 when it closed down
At the outbreak of WW2 Robert was Section Commander of the Local Defence Force, No 5 Coy No 22 Platoon Section 1
Names of platoon members taken from his diary 26 August 1940 include
David Brown, Alexander Bambrick, James Cryan, William C S Whitelaw, Henry McFarlane, David Finnie, George Harrison, Archibald Miller, David Miller, James Miller, Walter Mitchell, Henry Speirs, Andrew McLellan, Walter Lang, Thomas Moffat , Hugh Boyle, John Whitelaw, George Spence.
During WW2 Robert’s four eldest enlisted in the armed forces
L/Cpl W/ 217659 Minnie Hamilton 11- 9- 1942 – 9
Auxiliary Territorial Service Attached 606 (Mixed) Heavy Ant Aircraft Bty Royal Artillery Predictor operator on gun sites, South Coast of England & Newhaven Fort
Cpl Robert Hamilton 1942 – 19 Royal Artillery Served in India & Burma.
WO2 James Hamilton 1942 -1947 1 year Royal Engineers 4 years Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers served in India
Lt Ian Hamilton 1944 – 1948 1st Bn Seaforth Highlanders served in India, Java & Malaya
Robert retired in 1964, kept bee’s, went fishing and carried out maintenance on the vehicles of his sons fruit & veg business and did some handicapping for Shawfield Stadium.
Robert died 1970. Information provided by William Mackie, (Grandson)[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]