The first mention of a golf course was from an extract in the Hamilton Advertise in 1896 which reported the following:
The formation of a golf club in Stonehouse is now an accomplished fact, and considering the class of membership that have joined or signified their intention to do so, it is evident that the club has come to stay. A suitable course has been found near West Town Farm. Several holes have already been got, and others are in formation. Good play has been got, and in course of time we may be proud of the position Stonehouse Golf Club will hold in golfing circles.
Holm Farm Golf Course
Stonehouse Golf Club stood on the lands of ‘Holm’ Farm and was inaugrated in 1910. Opened officially in 1912, Robert Rule was the first president of the club, with David Stirling of Meadowbank as the clubs first captain. At the AGM of the golf club in January 1914 local teacher Alexander McIntosh was elected president replacing retiring president Mr Sym. The other office bearers elected were William Mackenzie, vice president, John Millar, captain, Mr Macfie, treasurer and George Brown, secretary. It was agreed at the meeting that a leading lady golfer should participate in an exhibition match to officially open the seasons play in May of that year.
Holm farm was a nine hole course and its steep banks provided quite an obstacle for many. At the official opening of the green that year, the greenkeeper, Mr Biggar, stated the greens were in splendid order. Local ladies, Miss Sievewright, Miss Craig and Miss Jessie Millar all took part in the medal contests.
The following year Daniel Sym presented the prizes at the opening ceremony, at which a mixed fourballs competition took place. Entry fees for the days play were donated to the ‘Serbian Flag Day’ fund. With William Mackenzie presiding at the AGM of January 1917, it was unanimously agreed to suspend play for the coming year. It was also agreed that members should pay a small levy to meet administration expenses and repairs to the club house. Members were also instructed to remove their clubs from the club lockers. Part of the course was said to have been cultivated during the Great War but sadly the course did not return to play.
A picture post card showing the course was addressed to Mr Robert Leggate Hill Road Stonehouse and the inscription on the card read as follows:
Merci Tres Beacoup, What do you think of this?
Do you recognize the golfers Mr Thomson & Wm Anderson/ . Stonehouse is becoming noted.