Stonehouse being a rural village was and still is surrounded by many farms. One of the earliest records we have of residents of Stonehouse farms was an extract from the Minutes of the Kirk session which lists names of persons resident in the parish. The following information has been extracted from the information  printed in Naismiths Statistical account of Stonehouse.

The following are a list of farms and (photoraphs where we have them)  the know earliest  residents in the farm as detailted in the extract.

Our group are still adding to this page and are seeking early copies of photographs or later details of who was the owner or tennat in the farm.

Our gallery also shows an outline map with the farms detailed.

.

As we gather information we will add it under each farm. Please note if the photograph does not appear due to its sizing please click on the photograph to enlarge. Thanks to J Young, J Monie, Mr Hamilton and all others who provided some photographs.

BRIDGEHOLM

1715: John Hamilton (Younger)

 

BURNCROOKS

(Where photograph does not display full image please click on image)

.

BURNFOOT

1756: Alexander Dixon

COTT CASTLE

.

CRUMHAUGH

1700 : John Mitchell

1746: John Mitchell, James Mitchell

CHAPEL

(Where photograph does not display full image please click on image)

.

1724: Robert Marshall

1748: John Hastie

COUPLAW

1748: James Dikes

CROFTHEAD

1758: John Hamilton

1804: Robert Russell

.

DYKEHEAD

1719: Thomas Millar

.

EAST MAINS

1755:Andrew Hamilton

GOSLINGTON

1707: Andrew Hamilton

1731:  John Leggate

GREENBURN

.

1810: George Peat

HESELDEAN (HAZELDEAN)

1707: James Scot

1719: Thomas Millar

1748: William Frame, Thomas Robertson, Andrew Craig

HIGH LANRIGG

(Where photograph does not display full image please click on image)

.

HOLM FARM

.

OVERHALL

1713: John Alston

KITTYMUIR

Prior to 1709 John Shearer

1714: Gavin Stobo

1720: James Lawrie

1745: John Fleming

1749: Ralph Simpson, William Alston

1758: James Thomson (Tenant)

1804: William Downie

(Where photograph does not display full image please click on image)

.

LINTAUGH

Prior to 1709 Robert Weir.

 

LOUNSDALE

.

LOWER KITTYMUIR

 

MILNHOLM

1720: James Hamilton

1756: Hugh Hamilton (MIller)

NETHERFIELD

1701: James Young

PARTICKHOLM

1758:William Taylor

SIDEHEAD FARM

(Where photograph does not display full image please click on image)

.

SPITTAL

1731: Thomas Mutter

TANHILL

1748: James Thomson

TOFTS

.

TWEEDIE

1742: Robert MIllar

TWEEDIHALL

1703: John Nummo

TWEEDIEMAINS

1722: Jas Hamilton

TWEEDISIDE

.

1720: Richard Meikle (portioner)

1816: John Stewart

TWEEDIYARD FOOT

1722: John Stewart

WATSTOUN

1706: James shearer

1713: John Barr

1723: William Barr

WESTMAINS

.

1749: Robert Mutter

1804: Thomas Scott

YARDS

1748: John Jackson

.